Poetry in Motion

Poems created for and from the worship of Jesus, but relating to an array of matters that may or may not be 'church-centric'. If any of the scribblings on this site have interested you and you would like to discuss them further, perhaps would like hard copies, then please use the 'comment' forums at the end of each post (providing contact details) and I will do my best to reply.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Pearls of my Heart

When I look at you,
all I can see
is beautiful light
falling upon me.

You are warm to my heart,
perfect every day;
Awesome, Brilliant,
Amazing, in every way.

Your beauty is more to me
than anything I have ever seen,
than I dared to dream,
Love of my Life.

My eyes fill with tears
as I realise
how I am blessed from above
with things so captivating.

There are many wonders
in this big, strange world,
but of all the things I’ve seen,
thought of, experienced
and wondered at,
the greatest wonders
are still you.

You and you,
pearls in the eyes of the Lord,
who loves you more than anything,
who has made promises in his Word.
He too looks at you with wonder,
wishes to walk with you for all days.
He too loves you,
more than anyone could ever say.


I would very much bet that if this poem had never been written, this site never would have been made.

The story is simply this; a pastor friend at college, a very dear man, asked me to craft this poem (which hasn't been produced here in its entirety to preserve the personal nature of the original draft for that family) for his children as a birthday gift from their Dad. It was an honour for me to do such a thing, but also more when he presented me a gift: several volumes of classic English poetry for me to read and enjoy and learn from. That man sowed several months of patience and time into my life and encouraged me greatly in my poetry at a time when I really got bored and even dismissive of the gifts God had given me. If not for that man and the warmth he shared when I printed the poem out for him, I'd probably not be doing this site now. This poem isn't, by my own creative enjoyment, one of my best but it is a personal land-mark and I will remember it forever. Thank you, my dear pastor friend and brother.

Matt K, 2005, written on the day of watching my first live football match.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home